Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dreamspaces

When I dream, spaces take on lives of their own and come together in ways that are non-traditional, but make sense in that dream. This house reminds me of the kinds of architectures I construct in my dreams. This house was built in Japan for a family of four, with a very specific goal: divisions where each family member could have their own individual space, but which kept the feel of a single space, rather than a collection of rooms.
I think they've accomplished that. One space, but with clear divisions. Here's a reverse angle:
Stairs wind up to each bedroom. Not the most efficient, but it offers a unique way to preserve the sense of space, and offer each bedroom access to the shared space. If any of this is hard to visualize, here's a floorplan for the upper level of the house:
Could you live in a house like this? When you dream, what do your dream houses look like? images lovingly stolen from ArchDaily

No comments:

Post a Comment