Saturday, January 17, 2009

Purple is the noblest wall color


I'm pretty sure this is the same color that pimp costumes are made of. Yes, it's bright, bold and full of character. It's also ridiculous. All that color theory tells us that yellow and purple are complementary and thus work well together. Correct.

But I've got a competing (and more important) theory I want to test. Near as I can tell, there might only be exceptions in terms of certain patterns. I call it the "Dress shirt theory". (well, right now its just a hypothesis, but hopefully with your input, we'll be able to prove it)



It goes a little something like this: Imagine the wall color (or pattern) in question as a mans dress shirt. Any color or pattern which would look silly should be used only under the advisement of a design professional.
A pastel works fine on walls or as a shirt. Color combinations such as white with brown or blue work fine. And a print with ducks on it makes you my father.

Now, to undo all the negative karma from the bad purple room, here's a good purple room. (Fine, lilac room)

1 comment:

  1. Hm, I am not a lilac fan. I actually like the top purple room. In someone else's house. In mine, it would just keep me awake. I like darker purples, and moody lavenders.

    ReplyDelete